Our aspirations are wrapped up in books:
- Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson, Winner-Take-All Politics. Recommended. (*) Polemical. Should be read as a supplement to Larry Bartels, Unequal Democracy, which is Recommended (**).
- Dilip Hiro, After Empire. Terrible. Not Recommended (**). Left-deviationist.
- David Kang, China Rising. Good. Recommended for specialists.
- Susan Shirk, China: Fragile Superpower. Recommended (*). Generalist.
- Andrew Coe, Chop Suey: a Cultural History of Chinese Food in the United States. Generalist. A good accompaniment to Jennifer 8. Lee's Fortune Cookie Chronicles, but definitely a supplement, not a replacement.